- 06 Aug, 2020
View The Best Shower Wheelchairs To Buy For 2022!
Introduction to Shower Wheelchairs
A shower wheelchair, which can also be referred to as a shower commode, bathroom chair, or wet room chair amongst other things, is a piece of apparatus that is designed to help users during their daily home showering and bathing experiences. This is primarily achieved by providing stability and support when entering and exit the shower, as well as a seated position when actively bathing. They additionally enable easier navigation around the bathroom while several units are also built to encourage easier transfers to the toilet.
The Showerbuddy SB6W is a self-propelled shower chair that includes large self-propelled wheels, a standard front opening cushion, swing away and removable footrests, flip back, and removable armrests. There are also optional left, right and full round cushions along with a solid backrest are available as an add-on. The Showerbuddy SB6W is height adjustable and comes with a removable commode bucket so you can roll it from the bedside to over the toilet.
- Armrests - Removable, Lockable, Flip-back
- Footrests - Removable, Swing-Away, Height Adjustable
- Frame Material Stainless Steel Parts and Hardware (Grade 304)
- Safety Belts Interchangeable Chest/Lap Belt & Calf Strap
- Caster Wheels 4” (100mm) / Lockable
- BRAND: Shower Buddy
- WEIGHT: 20
- WEIGHT CAPACITY: 300 lbs
EZee Life aluminum attendant shower and commode chair model is a tilting back 18" or 20" seat commode and a transport chair in one with 24" wheels. The chair comes with two 5" locking casters to provide safety when the user does not need to be moved. The seat cut-out provides comfort and allows the chair to be positioned over a standard toilet for use, but also comes with a bucket to be used anywhere it is required. The aluminum frame of the Shower Commode Chair is an attractive white color and is also resistant to rust which makes it ideal for the shower. Footrests come standard and include adjustable height and angle footplates. The Aluminum Shower Commode Chair is ideal for anyone who is looking for a shower chair and commode for their home.
- Can be positioned over a standard toilet or used as a portable self contained commode
- Floor to seat height can be adjusted 4"" without tools
- White aluminum frame is attractive and rust resistant
- Padded seat back and arms
- Height adjustable
Raz Mobile Shower Commode Chairs — Designed and manufactured to the highest standards of the discerning healthcare professional.
The Raz-At (Attendant Tilt) mobile shower commode chair tilts up to 40° to provide extra pressure reduction and comfort. The unique frame design utilizes locking gas springs that help lift the seat to an upright position, making the Raz-At one of the easiest tilting mobile shower chairs to operate.
The Raz-At mobile shower commode chair comes standard with the Ischial & Pelvic Alignment System (IPAS), 4” of height adjustment, adjustable-tension back upholstery, molded headrest and fixture, 5” dual-locking casters, flip-up padded armrests, and a commode pan. The easy-to-clean, polished stainless steel frame fits over most toilets and is designed for easy side and front access by the user or attendant.
- Tilt Function
- Moulded Seat
- Adjustable Footrests
- Ischial Pelvic Alignment System
- Fixed Back
- BRAND: RAZ Designs
- WEIGHT: 61 lbs
- WEIGHT CAPACITY: 3350 lbs
Folding commode chair that can travel with you. WheelAble is perfect for vacations or holidays. The chair fits through narrow passageways to wheel over a toilet or into a shower stall. The optional commode bucket allows the chair to be a standalone toilet. Extending arms, allows easy side transfer from chair to chair.
Manufactured using injection molding, parts are made from plastic and stainless steel. 20″ wheels have molded pushrims, while 3.25″ casters have step-on brakes. Adjustable footrest. All components tuck, slide or fold into compact unit that fits into a carry bag. Carry weight is less than 28 pounds.
- Collapsible without any tools
- Use for toileting or showering
- Perfect for travelers
- 20" wheels with pushrims
- Padded Seat
What Is A Shower Wheelchair?
A shower wheelchair, which can also be referred to as a shower commode, bathroom chair, or wet room chair amongst other things, is a piece of apparatus that is designed to help users during their daily home showering and bathing experiences. This is primarily achieved by providing stability and support when entering and exit the shower, as well as a seated position when actively bathing. They additionally enable easier navigation around the bathroom while several units are also built to encourage easier transfers to the toilet. Their key components include:
- A sturdy frame for optimal stability and support.
- Wheels for easier movement around the room.
- A comfortable chair and back for better bathroom experiences.
The best shower wheelchairs offer the versatility needed to use all bathroom facilities, restoring normality to a daily habit that was previously not possible.
Who Are Shower Wheelchairs For?
A shower commode or wheelchair is an assistive tool that is primarily thought of as an aid for the elderly. However, it can also support much younger users that have disabilities or reduced mobility. In truth, the list of conditions that patients requiring a safe shower wheelchair suffer from includes, but is not limited to:
- Patients that use wheelchairs in other daily tasks.
- Arthritis and problems with various joints.
- Postural issues and muscle fatigue.
- Reduced flexibility that makes it hard to reach body parts.
- Poor balance and proneness to vertigo or tinnitus.
- Visually impaired users.
Essentially, if using the bathroom has become difficult and enjoyable due to physical limitations, checking out the best shower commodes is advised. It could be the difference between independence and needing a carer.
The Benefits Of Modern Shower Wheelchairs
Shower wheelchairs are incredible devices, not least because their benefits can be felt on a daily basis. Users can subsequently gain experience a wide range of transformations, including but not limited to the following:
- Increased safety when using the bathroom or wet room facilities for showering, washing, or even using the toilet. This includes preventing slips and falls.
- Improved comfort levels when using the bathroom products for your daily bathing routines due to increased stability and reduced strain on your joints and muscles.
- Financial savings gained by avoiding extensive structural changes to the bathroom space while also preventing the threat of impacting your family's bathroom experiences.
- Increased independence and privacy during these daily activities, allowing you to avoid the need for carers to visit or family members to help you with the tasks.
- Heightened control over timings as you'll regain the independence to use the bathroom for yourself without relying on others.
- Increased hygiene as you can clean the seat before and after each use while you can additionally avoid the need to share the unit.
Modern shower wheelchairs are an ideal investment that will improve your quality of life through increased safety and comfort during daily showering habits. Better still, portable shower wheelchairs can be taken on vacation or to a relative's house for increased independence away from home too. If nothing else, it delivers peace of mind.
Wall-Mounted Versus Freestanding Shower Seats
When considering commodes for the bathroom, there are a number of aspects to consider. One of the first questions you must ask, however, is whether to use a wall-mounted or freestanding shower chair. While each option provides the same fundamental function of supporting users in their daily bathroom requirements, there are some very clear differences between a fixed and portable unit. Understanding the pros and cons is the only way to discover which is right for you.
Wall-Mounted Shower Chairs Pros & Cons
- Wall-mounted bathroom chairs stay fixed in place, removing any threat of falling or sliding along the floor.
- The wall-mounted solutions also take up less storage space as they can be folded up against the wall when not in use.
- They can be fitted to a height that's tailored to your personal preferences, which can be particularly useful for tall users.
- Wall-mounted bathroom chairs are limited in their function because they can't help you move around the bathroom.
- The seats cannot incorporate the toilet features either, meaning the possibilities are subsequently restricted too.
- It can be more difficult to clean and maintain good hygiene, particularly the hard to reach places around the back of the unit.
Freestanding Shower Commodes Pros & Cons
- Freestanding shower commodes are available in multiple sizes and designs while they can also incorporate toilet facilities.
- Freestanding shower chairs will support you when moving around the bathroom and can be used in showers or on the toilet.
- They additionally offer the option of taking them to secondary bathrooms in other parts of the home, or even to another property.
- You will need to find a designated storage space, although some will fold up into a more compact design.
- There are more parts to consider, such as the wheels, which could pose risks if they become faulty and may require repairs.
- They are the more expensive unit due to their increased function, versatility, parts, and features compared to stationary options.
Set height and position
Incorporate toilet system
Can be used elsewhere
Less potential maintenance
Best overall safety
Buying Guide: What To Look For In Shower Wheelchairs
Accepting that a wall-mounted or rolling shower commode will benefit your life is one thing, but choosing the right product for your requirements is another altogether. While value for money is naturally one of the top items on your agenda, it's not the only key consideration. Patients can use the following checklist to navigate the minefield.
One of the first key issues to consider is the physical size of the chair. For a wheeled product, it must be compact enough to move freely around the available floor space. Furthermore, you should consider the storage needs. For most users, this means creating a space in the bathroom or washroom itself. However, it needs to be wide enough to support your body.
Whether it's a wall-mounted seat or shower chair with wheels and padded seat, the seat material should be suited to your preference. Some medical conditions may force you to seek thicker padding while others may provide a non-slip plastic material. Given that you could be sat on the chair for several minutes a time, settling for less than optimal comfort is not an option.
Wall-mounted bathroom chairs are built solely for you to sit at while showering. However, wheeled bathroom commodes can also incorporate toilet facilities. When taking this route, the seat will be shaped to offer support but leave a gap. This means you can either wheel the chair over the toilet basin, or use a specialized pot that connects to underneath the seat.
Comfort is immensely important for any user, but it must not compromise your safety. For wall-mounting, you need to know that the fixture is secure while the folding mechanism functions correctly. For wheeled shower seats, the right choice of wheels for your bathroom flooring type should be a priority while they must also incorporate a locking mechanism.
Some advanced shower chair models can tilt back, which can subsequently aid bathing and showering habits by adding flexibility. It's additionally a feature that may support family members or carers when helping patients get cleaned. While it's not a solution that's needed by all, its importance for those that need it cannot be ignored.
The height of the shower seat will undoubtedly influence the overall user experience and comfort levels. Adjustable chairs are naturally the best solution as it'll allow you to find the most suitable setup for you. Aside from a lack of comfort, getting it wrong can place unnecessary stress on muscles and joints, which will only make matters worse.
Buy Or Rent
While finding the right model should always be the priority, prospective shower seat users should also consider whether it's better to rent or buy. There are pros and cons to each, which is why there is no single right or wrong answer. The table below should help:
Support with repairs
Features and lifestyle upgrades
Freedom to customize
Nobody else has used
Change model if bored
Customer care when buying
Shower Wheelchair FAQs
Should I Use A Shower Seat That Can Be Used Over The Toilet?
It's a personal preference, but it's often a wise move to choose a commode that can do both. If you already require assistance for using the shower, it's very likely that you will eventually struggle to use the toilet unaided. A unit that lets you do both is a great investment for the future, and is more likely to boast anti-tip mechanisms.
Does The Brand Matter?
While there's no one right manufacturer, it's important to choose one that is known for quality and reliability. After all, the best shower commode is a device that will provide daily assistance for years to come. In addition to the right product, you must partner with the right supplier. Or else, you may not gain the quality product you think you've bought.
What Other Bathroom Products Can Be Used?
In addition to the use of a shower wheelchair, users may want to adapt their bathroom with shower grab bars, accessible bathtubs, or mats for the bathroom floor. Any investment that aids accessibility and safety by providing better navigation around the bathroom and reduced trip hazards must be considered a wise investment.
Whether wheeled or wall-mounted, bathroom commodes and shower chairs have the ability to transform your daily life by restoring independence and normality to your bathing, showering, and toilet habits. Whether needed for all visits to the bathroom or solely for the morning shower doesn't matter, the addition to your home will make a significant impact on your quality of life.
Why buy your bathroom commodes and shower chairs at Scooters 'N Chairs?
Here at Scooter 'N Chairs, we aren't a mindless, soulless company, we care about each customer and each purchase.
We are here to assist you with the most personalized, patient and friendly team on the market, who find no question too trivial and will personally research any questions or queries you might have, until you are totally comfortable you have found the perfect bathroom commodes and shower chairs to purchase. For any questions about our top-of-the-line elevating seat electric wheelchairs, don’t hesitate to contact our friendly customer service team. We are available by phone, livechat, email - these details can be found on our contact us page linked above.