Heavy Duty Mobility Scooters & Outdoor Mobility Scooters The heavy duty scooter is similar to the outdoor scooter, but has the highest weight limit in order to accommodate all users in need of a mobility device. These scooters will also feature a heavy and sturdy frame, as well as tires that can navigate all types of terrain. The seats are often high backed and spacious for added comfort while riding, and armrests are able to be raised and lowered to make getting on and off of the scooter easier.
Afikim and EV Rider both offer heavy duty models with a variety of safety options, such as mirrors, LED lighting, and high ground clearance. While the majority of heavy duty scooters are wide and heavy, some manufacturers do offer lighter and more compact models. E-Wheels offers a scooter that is foldable and easy to transport with a 500 pound weight limit.
Outdoor Scooters The outdoor scooter is a bit heavier than the portable device, and is built to safely navigate a variety of terrains. These scooters are often equipped with front and rear suspension, shock absorption, and sturdier tires. While most of the portable models have a 3 wheel base, scooters intended for outdoor travel usually have a 4 wheel base for increased stability over rough terrain. Many of the models come with tubeless or flat free tires to prevent the scooter from becoming disabled by potential hazards in your path. The outdoor scooter will also have a higher weight capacity than the portable models.
Outdoor scooters are typically bulky and take up more space. Their turning radius is not always very sharp, and these can be difficult to maneuver in tight spaces. The outdoor scooter is also more difficult to transport due to its size and weight. EV Rider and Afikim offer well-reviewed outdoor mobility devices with a wide variety of speed, storage and seating options.
What are the benefits of using an Outdoor Mobility Scooter?
Being able to move around as we please is one of the things we take for granted and one of the gifts we miss the most when we lose it. For many people, a mobility scooter is a safe, affordable alternative. Although most scooters are made for indoor or outdoor use, an outdoor model offers special features for people who miss nature or live in rural areas.
Benefits of an Outdoor Mobility Scooter
Mobility scooters come in a wide range of designs and styles and can be a good alternative to wheelchairs. They are relatively affordable and versatile when compared to other mobility products, and they have higher ground clearance, making them good for outdoor use. Some of the benefits of using an outdoor mobility scooter include the following:
• Portability, comfort, and convenience Using a walking stick works for short distances but gets tiring after a while. Scooters, on the other hand, have built-in comfort devices that make steering the device or folding it down for transport easy. They also have adjustable armrests and a relatively wide seat, depending on the model. Some have seats that can be elevated to make high spaces more accessible, and others have swivel seats for better visibility.
• Affordability Competition has lowered the price of scooters over the past few years. They cost less than power wheelchairs, and they are covered by some insurance and Medicare plans. Travel or folding scooters save money by eliminating the need for an expensive lift for loading them onto vehicles.
• Ability to transport All scooters can be transported, but some are carried more easily than others. Folding or travel models not only weigh less, but they usually come apart or fold, making them a good option for traveling on cruise ships or airplanes. Scooters with removable batteries are lighter and more easily lifted for travel or storage.
• Safety and a sense of well-being A mobility scooter can help to prevent falls, encourage independence, and cut down on long stays in facilities or the need for caregivers. They can also give people a sense of freedom, reducing feelings of helplessness and providing them with a way to stay in contact with family, friends, and neighbors.
• Aid to caregivers Caregivers of patients who use mobility products may be less likely to suffer from physical or emotional burnout themselves because their patients are happier and more self-sufficient, giving caretakers more time to enjoy their own lives and more time to share that joy with their patients.
Most mobility scooters can be used inside or outside, but some are more suited to the outdoors than others. Outdoor mobility scooters are rugged vehicles designed to be safe on steep inclines and rough terrains. They have the power to manage difficult conditions, giving users a chance to once again enjoy outdoor events like fishing trips or family gatherings. And that is a priceless gift